3. Unwind the bungee and rope, leaving the bungee cord and rope connected together.
4. If you are using a pole with a hole in the handle end, at least ½ inch from the end of the pole, go to step #5.
- If you are using a pole without a hole near the handle end, position the enclosed “hole adapter” with its hole nearest the handle end of the pole (see illustration at right).
- Position the “hole adapter” 4-8 inches up from the handle end of the pole. Be sure it is on the same side of the pole as the rope that is coming down the pole from The Twister Fruit Picker®.
- Use the double-stick tape on the “hole adapter” to temporarily hold it in place. After positioning, securely tape or otherwise fasten the “hole adapter” to the pole
5. Slide the “rope length adjuster” toward the handle end of the pole to lengthen the rope. Push the looped end of the bungee through the hole in the pole handle or through the hole on the “hole adapter.” Then place the loop of the bungee over the handle end of the pole to fasten the bungee to the pole. (If you choose, the “hole adapter” can be used on any pole so that the rope attaches above the handle.)
6. Leaving the rings tied together, slide the “rope length adjuster” toward the picker to shorten the rope, stretching the bungee approximately an inch. Untie picking rings. The fruit picking rings should stay together. If they don’t, slide the “rope length adjuster” toward the picker to adjust the bungee tension, which shortens the rope and closes the picking rings. The tension can be adjusted, if necessary, for different types and sizes of fruit.
**Shorter or longer poles. (Do after step 5 and before step 6)
If your pole is going to be permanently shorter than 7 feet long: With the picking rings still tied together, pull the free end of the rope (knotted end) through the “rope length adjuster” without stretching the bungee, until all slack is out of the rope. Position the “rope length adjuster” approximately one foot above the “bungee/rope transition piece.” Cut off the excess rope and tie a new knot close to the “rope length adjuster.” If your pole is longer than 12 feet: Remove top end of rope by untying the knot and removing rope from picker. Splice on needed amount of similar-sized rope. Be sure the splice knot is at least 12 inches below the pulley of The Twister Fruit Picker®. Run rope back over the top of the pulley and through the hole in the arm, and retie the knot. (Now go back to step 6)