06 Aug, 2014 The Twister Fruit Picker®: Yummy Fresh Fruit Smoothies!
Fruit smoothies are the perfect way to drink your fresh fruit while satisfying your sweet cravings. They provide you with a healthier alternative to sugary drinks. A smoothie is a great way to start your day or as an afternoon pick-me-up. During the summer there is a greater choice of ripe tree fruit. Pick your fresh fruit with The Twister Fruit Picker® and make a yummy smoothie with that fresh fruit!
Smoothies combine large amounts of fruits into one very compact, tasty drink. Fruits are the most nutrient dense at peak season. The perfect fruit smoothie should include:
- One part fluid. Fluids are necessary to blend the smoothie and add consistency. Choices include: water, milk, fresh squeezed fruit juice or green tea.
- One part ripe fruit. The large variety of fruit provides plenty of choices and the combinations are endless.
- Two parts thickener. Ice is a commonly used thickener – using only ice with fresh fruit will give you a thinner smoothie. Adding a banana or frozen fruit will help to thicken a smoothie. Other thickeners are low-fat yogurt, Greek yogurt or low fat frozen yogurt. Using any combination of the above will also work.
- Extra flavor enhancers. The flavor enhancers should add some extra sweetness to the fruit smoothie. They include: honey, agave nectar, stevia extract, monk fruit in the raw, dates, vanilla extract, lemon/lime/orange zest, cinnamon, ginger (candied or raw), or another sweetener of your choice.
- Nutritional boosters (optional). These can change the flavor and texture of the fruit smoothie, so modify them accordingly. They include protein powder, vitamin powder, wheat germ, flax and greens that include kale and chard.
Here is one of our favorite fruit smoothie recipes. It uses seasonal fruits with fresh seasonal berries. Not only is it delicious, but it is also loaded with essential nutrients.
Peach-Banana – Berry Smoothie
– Makes 1 smoothie –
1/2 cup fresh peaches, cut into chunks
1/2 cup fresh/frozen strawberries
1/2 banana, peeled and cut into chunks
1/4 cup vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup orange juice (freshly-squeezed if you have it!)
Optional: a touch of sweetener such as Stevia extract
Place all ingredients in a single serve or full-sized blender… fruit first, followed by yogurt and juice, and adding ice cubes last. Blend until smooth. Pour, serve and enjoy!
To make a thinner smoothie, use all fresh fruit and adjust the ice to your liking. To make a thicker smoothie, freeze the strawberries or peaches ahead of time and adjust the ice to your liking. Do not freeze all your fruit, or even with no ice you will have a smoothie that is too thick!
If you have a single serve blender or attachment, this is the perfect amount for one smoothie. Double, triple or quadruple the recipe to make a smoothie for your family or friends!
We found a great link that has a variety of recipes for healthy fruit smoothies. Pick your fresh fruit with The Twister Fruit Picker® and enjoy a yummy fresh fruit smoothie this summer! Happy Picking!